Saturday 6 April 2019

How CrossFit star Sara Sigmundsdottir dealt with a broken bone on the biggest stage


In the sport of CrossFit, there are no stars bigger than Iceland's Sara Sigmundsdottir. With 1.4 million Instagram followers and hoards of fans wherever she competes, no one receives louder cheers at the CrossFit Games.
However, despite that huge popularity, Sigmundsdottir is yet to reach the pinnacle of her sport, winning the CrossFit Games.
When she burst onto the CrossFit Games scene in 2015, Sigmundsdottir immediately made her mark, leading the field heading into the final day of competition, before eventually finishing third behind countrywoman Katrín Davíðsdóttir and Australia's Tia-Clair Toomey.
    In 2016, much the same story. Sigmundsdottir was in contention throughout, but once again found herself on the third step of the podium, behind the same two women.
    The following year, Sigmundsdottir competed with pain in her shoulder blades, finishing just off the podium in fourth. A later diagnosis found she had broken her rib, forcing her to miss the remainder of the 2018 season.
    Despite being sidelined as her rivals trained, Sigmundsdottir once again made it back to the Games, believing she was fitter than ever.
    "I've never been in as good form as I was there. I've never been as fit. I've never been as light weight. I just felt great. I felt I was peaking at the right time. I was so excited to show how hard I worked from coming from an injury and still being in that shape. And then, that happened."
    Remarkably, while warming up for an event on day one of the Games, Sigmundsdottir broke a different rib.
    "I was trying to hide it the whole time from my coach because I knew that if he knew, that he would make me withdraw. If I have a broken rib, it's not going to hurt any more. It's just a broken bone. I can live with it."

    No comments:

    Post a Comment